Monday, August 17, 2009

I found this on the net today, and it made me think how often it is these days that children are getting more sucked into new technology now at a younger age. I remember my very first mobile, a 3315 ("the brick") when I was in my first year of high school. Sadly I only got it because everyone else had one, and I wanted to be cool too. Children these days are getting them as young as 10! I know Generation Y runs on technology, but this is just a little too much for me.

Its not just Mobile phones though, our generation is obsessed with computers, and it’s not such a bad thing until we realize that we've been on face book for 3 hours+. Now don’t forget MSN, that’s what started it all. I started that up when I was in grade 6, and have been on it since! It’s the best way to keep in touch, faster than e-mail, cheaper than the phone, and your display picture can look good 24/7! Its also faster and involves less effort then writing an letter, which to me is only ever used to add more of a personally and meaningful touch to a message.

Unfortunately, the problem now is how much these programs threaten your privacy. Not to forget the warnings from ACA and Today Tonight about all the old men sitting online waiting to talk to young girls. Personally I think there’s only one solution; it’s about being smart and knowing what to put up and who you allow to see it. This may limit you to meeting people online, but that’s taking the reality out of life in my opinion. I wont even back up dating sites for that matter, meeting someone online is abnormal, and you will never have a true confirmation until you see them in person, and if that’s possible why bother talking on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment