Wednesday, August 26, 2009

QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How do search engines rank the stuff they find on the internet?
-I’m not to sure about this answer, but I’ve got a feeling they don’t search through every website in existence.

Who, or what, makes one page (that you might get in your search results) more useful than another one, so that it is put at the top of your search results?
-Money!

What are some of your favorite search engines? Why do you like one more than others?
www.searchaol.com
www.google.com

What did Alan Turing wear while riding his bicycle around Bletchley Park?
Answer I found – Alan turing is actually very interesting! Broke the German U-boat coade, but he was the one riding a bicycle down the street wearing a gas mask.
Search Engine I Used- www.dogpile.com
Rating of Search Engine - * * *

On what date did two computers first communicate with each other? Where were they?Answer I found - September 1969 BBN had developed and delivered the first IMP to the Network Measurement Center located at UCLA
Search Engine I Used- www.bing.com
Rating of Search Engine - * * * * 2 minutes

What is Bill Gates’ birthday and what age was he when he sold his first software?Answer I found – Birthday October 28th 1955, and developed his first computer, 1973 he developed BASIC, and 1975 started working on Microsoft
Search Engine I Used- www.altavista.com
Rating of Search Engine – * * * * 1 minute

Where was the World Wide Web invented?
Answer I found – The Web was created at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Geneva, Switzerland, in 1981..
Search Engine I Used- www.yahoo.com
Rating of Search Engine – * * * ½ 3minutes

How does the power of the computer you are working on now compare with the power of a personal computer from 30 years ago?
Answer I found - For one thing the first computers weighed 24 pounds, the size was huge! Technology now something a whole generation can rely on.
Search Engine I Used- www.ask.com
Rating of Search Engine - * CRAP!

What is the weight of the largest parsnip ever grown?
Answer I found – This was the hardest thing to find!! Longest parsnip: Richard Hope (UK) 520.7 cm (17ft 1in), 2003 Heaviest parsnip: Norman Craven (Canada) 5.7 kg (12lb 9oz), 2004
Search Engine I Used- www.Lycos.com
Rating of Search Engine - *** hard seach though! 15minutes

When did Queensland become a state and why is the Tweed River in New South Wales?
Answer I found – 1859, June 6th. Tweed river is in New south Wales, but why I don’t know, possibly because 85% of nsw suger cane grows on it?
Search Engine I Used- www.metacrawler.com
Rating of Search Engine - **** but I still couldn’t find that answer… 15 minutes

What was the weather like in south-east Queensland on 17 November 1954?
Answer I found - Tropical Cyclone
Search Engine I Used- www.alltheweb.com
Rating of Search Engine - ** 5 minutes – ended up going to a government search engine

Why is Lord Byron still remembered in Venice?
Answer I found -. He proudly claimed to have enjoyed the company of a different woman on 200 consecutive evenings in Venice. Yet between bouts of Venetian libertinism, he managed to write the final cantos of Childe Harold's Pilgramage, the poem Beppo, large parts of his memoirs, sundry other lyrics, some verse drama, dozens and dozens of letters, and the first sections of his masterpiece Don Juan. The most notorious Romantic poet and satirist, Byron created his own cult of personality, the concept of the 'Byronic hero'
Search Engine I Used- www.aolsearch.com
Rating of Search Engine – ***** 2 minutes GREAT!

What band did Sirhan Chapman play in and what is his real name?\
Answer I found - He played vocals/keyboards in the black assassins, and his real name is Stephen Stockwell.
Search Engine I Used- www.search.netscape.com
Rating of Search Engine - ***1/2 10 minutes not toooo bad but annoying

No comments:

Post a Comment